My trademark iris

Monday, October 13, 2008

Herb Garden

I have had a small herb garden for four years. I only planted what I knew I'd use. I have rosemary, chives, dill, oregano, thyme, basil and sage. I planted it right in the middle of our vegetable garden and have used it regularly. There is nothing like fresh rosemary and oregano marinade on grilled chicken. My sage plant was several years old and met an untimely demise being trampled by a neighbor's horse of a dog. Today I went and bought 2 new sage plants, some lemon thyme and Greek oregano. I trimmed back the existing plants and planted my new ones. I also planted some garlic. It takes awhile to mature, but well worth the wait. I had to replace the sage. What would Thanksgiving be like without fresh sage in the dressing?

There were some decent sized green tomatoes left in the garden, so I picked four for fried green tomatoes tonight with our dirty rice. And then again this Saturday, when I'm in Kentucky for the Glendale Crossing Festival, I can get a plate of fried green tomatoes from the Whistle Stop Cafe!

No comments: